In my last article, I defined what it means to be a kingdom disruptor; an agent of glorious innovation led with the mind of Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit. I also explained that God wants to bring everything in creation back into right relationship with its Creator, and wants to use you to do it. In this second part of a three-part series, I want to talk about what kingdom innovation looks like, and how God’s word shows us the process to use in order to make it happen.
Innovation is the process of making things better. A disruptive innovation is defined as ‘creating a new market by applying a different set of values, which ultimately (and unexpectedly) overtakes an existing market.’ In that sense we are applying kingdom values to create new and better ways of doing things that will make many current practices in every area of human activity obsolete. And the world will not be able to understand how it happened.
Let’s consider some examples of what this could look like. Keep in mind this is applying the mind of Christ which we have been given (1 Cor. 2:16), to real world issues.
- Could companies actually offer quality employment and higher wages while lowering product prices?
- Can insurance mortgages be created to fit what customers actually need rather than the corporate bottom line?
- Can financing be offered at lower rates to meet actual needs rather than perceived needs?
- Can energy systems operate at half the consumption of current resources?
- Is it possible to develop technology to increase quality of life rather than eliminating jobs and increasing the income gap?
- Is there a way to produce an affordable and reliable electric car?
- How can housing be made more affordable for the next generation?
- Is there a new way to create jobs and foster new entrepreneurial initiatives?
The answer to all of these questions is yes, and the solutions to these challenges are in us according to the calling God has given each one of us.
So how do we begin the process of kingdom disruption?
We find our answer in Luke 10:5-9, where Jesus explains to the seventy-two the process of going out into the world. First, we speak blessing and peace into every individual, corporate entity, area of influence and city. Next, we have fellowship with those we connect with. We then pray for the felt needs of others, and finally proclaim the power of His Kingdom as expressed and experienced in righteousness, peace, and joy.
In this lifestyle of blessing God will reveal to us and through us the disruptive innovations that He has in store for mankind. As we respond in obedience to His will, His Kingdom will advance in and among the nations of this world, and nations will come to Jerusalem to bless and glorify our Father, Son and Holy Spirit as prophetically proclaimed in Revelation 15.
In the third and final part of this series, I will share how Transformation Canada is part of a global transformation movement seeing nations changed, people freed, and systemic poverty broken. And it’s all happening through God’s kingdom disruptors!
Are you ready to be an agent of kingdom disruption?
– Derk Maat, TC Board Chair