We take the position that Christians have been involved in world transformation for more than 2000 years. We then state that Prayer Evangelists have a key role in ushering in the Kingdom of God in contemporary society. Finally, we provide an example from Newark, New Jersey, to illustrate what can happen when a change in the spiritual climate attracts attention from government and business leaders.
What the Kingdom of God Is:
- The reign of God
- His authority – ruling in the hearts of men and women.
- Joy in the Holy Spirit
What the Kingdom of God is Not:
- A doctrine that teaches that we can earn God’s favor by strict adherence to moral rules. The practical problem with legalism is that Jesus did not come to earth and die to enforce human laws and moral regulations, but “to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10).
- Social Action and Social Reform
- Human efforts to improve society will occur when the Kingdom of God advances, but Jesus said that His Kingdom is “not by outward sign” (Luke 17:20-21).
- Political Activism
- The Kingdom advances in “weakness” and “humility”, not by exercises of political power (John 6:14-15).
- The Kingdom of God is hidden in this age (Matthew 13:44). Jesus in fact told Pilate that His Kingdom is “not of this world” (John 18:36).